What you should write about on the form? The DWP will use your form to decide whether to give you Attendance Allowance. They will be looking to see:
1. What difficulties you have, or how much help you need.
2. How often you have difficulties or need help.
3. What sort of help you need.
You do not have to be getting any help at the moment - the important thing is that you need it. For example, you might need to hold on to furniture to move around your home.
How to answer questions about personal tasks? Questions 27-43 ask about your care needs with personal tasks. It is really important that you use the blank boxes to explain if you:
1. Have difficulty or need someone to help you with personal tasks - for example washing, getting out of bed or getting dressed - at least 3 times during the day.
2. Have difficulty or need someone to supervise you throughout the day to make sure you stay safe - for example to stop you falling or to look after you if you have seizures or blackouts.
3. Have difficulty or need someone to help you with personal tasks repeatedly (2 or more times) during the night or just once if it is for 20 minutes or more - for example if you need help getting out of bed, going to the toilet or changing the sheets if you have an accident.
4. Need someone to watch over you or supervise you during the night to make sure youare safe - they need to help you at least 3 times, or just once if it is for 20 minutes or more, for example in case you have a fit while you are asleep, or to stop you falling over if you have to get up.
Contact your nearest Citizens Advice and ask if they can help you with your form. The form is long and can take time to fill in so you might need to ask for an appointment if you want help from your nearest Citizens Advice.
Help with personal tasks does not mean help with things like housework or gardening or other tasks around the home. Personal tasks means things like:
1. getting in or out of bed.
2. having a bath or shower.
3. getting dressed.
4. being reminded or encouraged to eat or drink.